Thursday, May 31, 2012

What's your stress?

Could you dim those a little at night please! Thank you.
I think this from cracked.com can be summed up as "make sure you have a dark room to sleep in and get your own private office at work".

Not sure that I entirely agree. I'd have to test out the 'better sleep in total darkness' idea, but as for the need for a quiet office, I think that if I have an organised day ahead that's at least partially planned out, only louder noises will 'stress me out' or more likely just distract me for a second. If I walk into an office for example a first day and am not allowed to 'hit the ground running', I find almost anything will distract me. Being told to ease myself in slowly sounds too much to me like 'sit there and get bored for the day', of which I'm not a fan!

I'm used to working in an open plan office or in my own private office. In open plan, I think it's important to have a good amount of space around you and be near at least one wall so people don't creep up on you and in my own private office, I like to have the door open so I'm not locked away!

I'll just finish by stating the obvious and that is, everyone is different, some people enjoy the buzz around them to motivate them, some like sleeping with the light or television on, all you can do is try to create the working environment that best suits you and find out how the people you manage work best and provide them with again, the best environment for them. And don't be afraid to mix it up, a couple of hours here and a couple there where possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment